Become a Bowen therapist

Are you interested in becoming a Bowen therapist?

The Bowen Therapy Federation of Australasia offers direction and advice for those interested in joining the industry in Australasia, and assists individuals to find suitable training programs. If you are based outside Australasia, please contact the relevant professional association in your country of residence.

Professional training criteria for becoming a Bowen Therapist

There are two main career paths for becoming a Bowen Therapist. You can consider either a Diploma of Bowen Therapy or a Certificate IV (or equivalent) in Bowen Therapy.

In addition to the initial training course, the industry also requires annual training to maintain your qualifications (continuing professional education) and to stay well informed of updates in techniques and service delivery models. The BTFA can support you with advice during your studies and can also help you once you graduate, as you establish a practice and maintain your qualifications. Click here to sign up for Student Membership (free for the first year).

A career in Bowen therapy can be very rewarding. There are no age and few physical limitations, as the therapy is gentle on the therapist as well as clients.

The majority of therapists operate from home-based practices with minimal overhead costs, while others work within clinics alongside allied health professionals.

The following is a list of BTFA-preferred training providers delivering training within Australia:

Checklist for choosing a Bowen therapy training institution

Ensure courses awarding a Diploma or Cert IV in Bowen Therapy are being delivered by a Registered Training Organisation (RTO). You can check for an RTO and registered courses on the National Training Information Service website

Courses and workshops in Bowen Therapy are also delivered by schools and trainers specialising in this modality, which are recognised by the BTFA are listed below.

Where non-Bowen subjects required for a qualification (common competencies) are being studied separately ensure they are being delivered by a RTO and are part of the Health Training package.

Ensure that your Bowen Qualification training institution can provide you with a ‘Statement of Attainment'.