Recent Government health fund reforms announcement – your help is needed!
On the 13th of October 2017, Greg Hunt, Minister for Health and Minister for Sport, announced major changes to health insurance coming into effect over the next couple of years: Health fund premiums to be reined in under sweeping Turnbull government changes, Sydney Morning Herald, Oct 2017).
The most relevant to BTFA members is the paragraph below:
“From 2019, private health insurance will no longer cover natural therapies, including aromatherapy, Bowen therapy, Buteyko, Feldenkrais, herbalism, homeopathy, iridology, kinesiology, naturopathy, Pilates, reflexology, Rolfing, shiatsu, tai chi and yoga. This move comes after a recent review by the Commonwealth Chief Medical Officer found that there was no clear evidence of the efficacy of these therapies.”
– Sydney Morning Herald website 13/10/17
How will this effect BTFA members?
It is early days for this proposal and all details are yet to be revealed.
- You can still practice and clients can still use your service.
- The changes will apply from April 2019.
- The BTFA will be monitoring and keeping you up to date as more information becomes available.
What the BTFA Board is doing
The Board continues to support its members and will be proactive in the areas of research and marketing. The Board will continue to seek and fund appropriate research. Alongside this will be development and activating marketing strategies to increase visibility and awareness of the effectiveness of Bowen Therapy.
This highlights the importance of us keeping professional and qualified to have any chance of making an impact by 2019.
Members – what you can do
PLEASE SIGN OUR PETITION!
This issue is very important to us, and together we can do something about it!
1. Please sign the BTFA’s new petition: MR TURNBULL AND GREG HUNT Minister for Health: GOVERNMENT HEALTH REFORM
2. Support the Your Health, Your Choice campaign and sign their petition. You can read more about this campaign on our website here.
We urge you to become as informed and involved as you can. Talk to your clients, networks, friends and family and ask them to sign the petition too. This will cause a ripple effect regarding Bowen Therapy involving your clients and the public.
Yours in solidarity,
The BTFA Board